Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

2. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 14, 2012, 15:58 Tumbler

The previews and interviews seem to sort of dance around these topics.

I've read some folks saying that the game is more an idea than a clearly defined project at this point and from what I've read that sounds about right.

It sounds like they want to create a traditional wing commander style story/adventure/space sim but then have that campaign be built into a larger privateer style world that is online.

It's ambitious for sure, but the fact that each of the pledge bonus' involve a ship that will be used in the online portion of the game, I assume, I think the muscle of this project is to make an MMO style game that plays like guild wars 2. IE lots of content to do on your own time but then you can pay for extra things as well.

I'm not clear how each ship that you get fits into the world. If this is a privateer style game then it makes sense until they start talking about the hornet...what good is a dog fighter in a space game like privateer. Maybe I can just do search and destroy missions?

If it's a more traditional campaign then aren't the ships provided and you're part of a fighter wing?

Honestly it gets hard to keep my money in this project every day that passes...and it's only been 2 DAYS!

I think this statement is causing me the most concern:

Finally we are offering the pledge slots a discount to what the final digital price will be. Like Guild Wars 2, the basic game will be $60, but for the early backers we are offering the entry tier at $40.

The whole $60 price point is an inflated number to begin with trapped behind publishers, distributors/retailers and platform makers so they can all get a cut. So these guys are building the game outside of all of those guys, even going outside of kickstarter and yet they're still looking at this like consumers will feel justified paying them $60 when this game launches? And $30-$40 a year before anything is delivered and 2 years before the game is officially launched? (Best case)

I think these guys are trying to make money rather than trying to build something they believe in. As much a fan as I am of Wing Commander and Privateer it's painful to watch this whole thing unfold. I'm having a really hard time supporting this at the $135 level that I am currently.

This is absolutely a game I want to see made but I am almost certain that what I'm expecting and what they are going to end up making are completely different products.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo