Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

29. Re: Project Eternity Kickstarter Homestretch Plans Oct 14, 2012, 10:50 Creston

Cram wrote on Oct 14, 2012, 04:49:
Am I the only one that thinks they've way gone beyond the point of biting off more than they can chew? FWIW, I am currently at the $140 donation, in case that matters when reading my thoughts.

I agree with a point in their description. Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. The amount of detail in both, which were in separate games, was, at the the time and even especially today with how games are made, unbelievable. That said, they've gone from wanting 1.1 million for a early 2014 date to a game with suddenly a multiple fold addition in systems and content, at still an early 2014 release date. Maybe they planned this right from the beginning, but they've given little evidence so far that this is so. At 3.5 million, possibly achievable, they want two giant cities on top of everything else going on?

This has gotten ridiculous. They're promising the entire Baldur's Gate saga, on steroids, at this point, for a few million. 7+ stories of a mega dungeon, I imagine Watchers Keep (5 or so stories) alone took a dedicated semi-separate team working on the BG2 expansion the entire development time of said expansion to make.

The enthusiasm Obsidian is putting behind this, the daily updates, is incredible. However, this game isn't anywhere near release and it already feels so hyped up by Obsidian with what they've promised to do that I don't believe them anymore. It's too much. I am seriously considering going back to my $35 donation I made day one of this KS.

A lot of the things they are adding onto the game is "simply" design stuff. More areas, more classes, more levels, more cities. Design is a question of manpower. 1 designer can design an X amount of content in the space of 18 months, so 2 designers can design 2X amounts of content, and 3 do 3X etc.

They aren't really adding to the complexity of the game. It's not as if one of their goals is "at 3.2 million, we'll add space combat, and at 3.5 million we'll add an RTS!" It's purely a function of designer man-hours to build all this extra content, not a function of complexity.

For 500K extra, they can likely hire 4 designers (or assign 3 of their current staff to work on this game instead of another) to work for 18 months, so those 4 guys can create a city with 4X amount of content. (And I'm being pretty damn generous with salary too, btw. I doubt most designers make anywhere near that amount of money. I think the programmers do, but designers probably make 50-60K with benefits and that's it. Probably the same for artists.)

Don't get too caught up in "how little" money it is. Current game design has gotten bloated beyond stupidity. Graphics have to look the best of the best, so a dev needs like a hundred artists to make all those mega high-res textures. Every line needs to be voice acted, and publishers want famous names of actors to put on the box, so they hire expensive voice actors, which are guys who literally cost 2, 3 dollars a word. And with most publishers nowadays, ~25% of a game's budget is actually making the game, and ~75% is marketing. (Those are actually EA's numbers, but I'm sure the others aren't very far off.)

Let's say they finish with 3 million. 8% of it goes to KS and Amazon Payments, which is 240K, and judging from the swag they're doing, that's going to cost them... I'm going to say half a million bucks, but maybe it'll be a little more (I figure the cost will average out to about 10 bucks a backer.)

So they're left with a tad over 2 million bucks. They already have the engine, and they already have a bunch of tools to work on stuff, so for 2 million bucks, they can have about 15-20 guys work full-time on this game for 18 months. You'd be amazed how much game can be made by that many experienced guys in that amount of time, especially since they

A) Don't have to please some publisher jackass who wants shit changed at the last moment.
B) Don't have to worry about adding in a third party cover system, since every game NEEDS one in this day and age.
C) Don't have to worry about mp, since every game obviously NEEDS mp.
etc.

Add in the fact that a lot of these guys have made this exact type of game before, plenty of times, and I think they're being pretty reasonable with their stretch goals.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2012, 10:57.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo