Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

31. Re: 0x10c Interview; Test Footage Oct 13, 2012, 13:29 Slashman

NKD wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 12:33:
I don't really buy into the concept that indie's are obligated to spend millions and millions developing their next title if they are successful just to measure up to some arbitrary level of "Triple A" polish and art.

I don't what you think I'm saying. Here is what I am saying:

Most indie games don't even sell 500k copies. This guy, with a tiny team, sold more copies than most AAA games these days sell. He did it with no publisher taking a cut and extremely small overhead. He now has the means to produce something better. If this was a startup indie company, I could maybe excuse that because they need to start somewhere. But this guy has the finances and resources to do much better.

I don't care about 'AAA standards', I just want graphics that don't make me feel like I'm playing something from more than a decade and a half ago. I have no reason to doubt he can get the gameplay right. Why not work on polishing the graphics and art too. You no longer have the excuse of: 'We're a small indie. We can only do so much.'

Minecraft was hugely successful with meager art and a shoestring budget. If Notch can't do it again, then him spending millions of more dollars is only going to get you a prettier failure, not a more successful game.

If he can't make a good game again, then he's failed as a developer. Making games is a risk. The difference is that he has a huge buffer of cash to help mitigate it, while most indies live or die based on their next tile.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo