Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: etc., etc. Oct 12, 2012, 21:05 2nd_floor

Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 19:46:
An 89% Editor's Choice award for Crysis 2, and an 84% and "id still makes some of the finest corridors in PC gaming" for Rage.

Crysis 2 felt like a solid 80-something game, and Rage wasn't over rated too badly imo. It was a decent 70 in my book

I thought Crysis 2, in a vacuum by itself, could take an 80 something too. However, add in that for a *PC* game, the hardware in 2011/2012 asks for better. Look at what GTA:IV did for a city in a game. If Crysis 2 had been something like that (open design, using full 2011/2012 hardware), that would be an Editor's Choice 8.9(+)/10 rating (a game that gets people to buy and use the PC for gaming instead of consoles). Then add in what Crysis 1 did for PC gaming (which may not be entirely fair but I'll say it). A huge step forward. PC Gamer themselves said Crysis 1 might be the best FPS ever, and to look at how far the FPS has come since the early 90s. (I think they said both of those, for sure the second one). 89% for Crysis 2 means it is only 9% less of an experience than Crysis 1. As far as fun, and do-it-your-way game play, Crysis 2 was not nearly there. And with only checkpoint saves, some done annoyingly poorly, I almost didn't finish it. They went so far ahead with Crysis 1, and then you play Crysis 2 and realize what it is, and think "uugggghhhh".

Low-mid 80s by itself maybe, but 85% and higher, we need to see much more effort geared towards the PC and what the PC can do. We're getting mediocre console ports of games, and fully accepting them by giving scores of 89%. (But I guess the consoles are where the money is!) Crysis 2 did get very mixed reviews, so some like it, some don't.

For a FPS PC game in 2011/2012, open-world (or open level) DirectX 11 should be the standard! With full graphical options and availability.

I thought Rage was a mess. It doesn't know what it is, and I think they (id) made some big mistakes with it. The semi open-world aspect actually makes it worse I think. There is no point to the driving. Is it a vehicle game or a person-on-foot game? Two completely different parts to it. And the "levels" were not open at all! Far Cry 2 nailed the open-world vehicle genre. That felt like a game! (except maybe the re-spawning and repetitive missions, but for maybe the first of it's kind, fantastic!). Rage simply doesn't flow properly. I think 60s even for Rage, maybe 70s. Carmack spent time getting id Tech V running on the iPhone, and look at the bugs on the PC version! The effort to make a full scale PC game is not there. 5 years, and 25GB hard drive space for that? They took the A.I. routines and sayings right out of F.E.A.R., word for word, action for action!! id doesn't copy people!

Haha, I like reviewing, taking apart and analysing games

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2012, 21:22.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo