Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: Op Ed Oct 12, 2012, 17:01 killer_roach

For me, it's a bit of a mixed bag, and I admit I'm more on the side of the publishers than most here. I find it particularly scuzzy that developers hide what's more or less vital parts of the game behind a paywall, but other things (like cosmetic items) I'm not as concerned about.

What the major problem is is the fact that games, like most other forms of media, fairly closely follow the monopolistic competition model for pricing. If a game simply has more content, they can't get away with charging more than their competition - if you need a certain average sales price to break even or get a market rate of return that's higher than the going MSRP, you're going to have to go the DLC route.

Ultimately, you'd think the publishers would figure out a cleaner way of making the break so as not to offend the consumer, but a disorganized rush to complete the game might result in such a mistake as Capcom has now done on multiple occasions. (I know they blame Microsoft's DLC rules on the 360 for why they do it, but they could always tell MS to go pound sand and whine for them to break their own rules - wouldn't be the first time a major publisher has gotten Microsoft to change policies as they go.)

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo