Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

59. Re: Steam does the same thing. Oct 12, 2012, 09:03 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 17:28:
hb3d wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 16:09:
How is what Microsoft is doing here any different than what Valve already does with Steam? You are simply trading one walled-garden for another.

Nope, not the same. There are other game services and retail is still viable to avoid what restrictions Steam imposes if I so choose. Now tell me where I can find another OS that will play all of the modern, older, and classic games aside from Windows. You can't. Having your own set of rules for your service is not censorship. Speeding towards forcing that everything that can possibly be used on your PC with your restrictive certification process and marketplace makes it clear that's where Microsoft is headed. An indie who wants to release a game that Steam won't allow will always be able to do it a hundred different ways. With the direction MS is going in, how long before they can't without getting MS's okay to do it? I don't want Microsoft restricting what I can and can't use on my heretofore open platform. Clearly they are heading in that direction with the Windows 8 abomination. Valve restrictirons largely around quality. Microsoft is heading down the path of being sole arbiters of what is "appropriate". There isn't even a comparison to be made here between Steam and Microsoft's attempts at locking down the PC and removing one of its greatest aspects - freedom. Hopefully Linux will step up and fill the gap because if Windows 8 is the "future" then you can count me out.

This awesome reply should not be drowned out by garage suffocation nonsense.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo