Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

8. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2012, 22:27 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:51:
Gee, big surprise. Of course their reviews are predicated on advertising dollars. All the big budget games have always got glowing reviews - regardless of what everyone else is saying - and all the smaller titles get ripped apart to appear to give them some sort of 'street cred' that they're legit. It's why since day one I always relied on - at the time - for smaller, more honest sites like the Adrenaline Vault for reviews, as well as sites like Blues, VE, etc. to find me more legitimate reviews. And of course, most importantly, my fellow gamers.

This is pretty much it, and the best way to go.

Everyone has wondered about reviews in years past, but I don't think it's ever been as bad as it is right now. Some cases are outright blatant; L.A. Noire got 100's on some sites, like Giant Bomb, 1UP and Gamepro. GTA IV got 100's on the same sites. Red Dead Redemption (which was admittedly great) also got 100's on 1UP and Gamepro (GB didn't have it listed).

I guess you could argue that all three of those games are the pinnacle of game creation, but that seems sort of weird to me having played all three. That's just looking at Rockstar, since that's who was pointed out in the article here. IGN had a first released exclusive review for GTA IV it's worth noting, too, which not surprisingly also gave it a 100. Most fans I've seen don't even think it's the best game in the series.

Anyway, just kind of rambling. I'm sick of reviews and review scores. If it's hyped up somewhere prior to release, it'll get a high score even if it shouldn't. If anyone questions it, they'll get the "review scores are just opinions" thing which I'd be totally cool with, if it wasn't for their shitty opinions driving publishers these days.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo