Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: More Project Eternity Stretch Goals Oct 6, 2012, 22:04 Axis

Well the guys from Obsidian pretty much summed it up without giving details, but I'll give the details.

AAA Publishers don't give out funds unless its new hat. It has to be the flavor of the year and appeal to the current generation. And if the companies do make something different, publishers leave them in the cold for PR/Adverts/etc and quickly dismantled and absorbed to other teams leaving no support. It's purely about the money with safe bets only.

This is also the reason I can't stand most AAA games anymore, passion is gone, replaced entirely by bottom line. Even if the devs have passion, they are hog tied by publishers often butt raped intentionally or not till they just don't give a shit.

And this is why indies are flourishing, because they don't need bazillions in sales to cover all the publishing red tape bullshit while providing innovation or nostalgic games at a reasonable price -- free to work at their own pace and do what they want unrestricted because they are passionate about their ideas.

So I'm glad to help fund a AAA company saying "F U" to the publishers. Especially when this AAA company made some of the most memorable and enjoyable games in history. Hopefully the end result will be overwhelming success, and some asshole rep in some asshole publishing company will say "Shit, wish we wouldda funded that!!".

And wishful thinking... more and more AAA companies do the same, so those same reps in 5 years time will be the one going out begging top-notch developers to be chosen as their backers, instead of the other way around.

Yours truly,

Axis

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo