Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 5, 2012, 08:59 Verno

MisterBenn wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 00:44:
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking Bethesda have been quite smart in their approach to Skyrim. You get a game out of the box that keeps console and PC players alike happy. Some of the DLC is a bit of a cash in but it is optional as it should be and seems still viable to those with no access to mods. PC users get mods to make the game as beautiful, challenging and replayable as they like. Shareholders benefit from the after sales DLC revenue, and apart from the DLC so far being unremarkable, noone really gets offended.

I think it's to Bethesda's credit that they've been savvy enough to balance the interests of all groups very fairly, offering PC and console gamers alike lots of what they are used to to be happy, while spinning a decent profit without resorting to some of the nastier business tactics that do the rounds these days.

I think my problem with Skyrim is the weak writing and quest design. There are a few standouts but overall most of the quests feel so generic that the Radiant generator probably could whipped them up. I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the Guild quests, the Thieves Guild was the only real standout. It's certainly a huge game and there is a lot to explore but often times the gameplay systems and quests feel rudimentary.

So for me the big hope was that the DLC would be where we get some more interesting quest content or expansion of combat systems but so far that's been really lackluster. It's not that Skyrim is a bad game or anything but with some better writing and combat design it could really be something special.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo