Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

70. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 5, 2012, 08:37 Verno

Jonjonz wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 08:02:
If by skill, you mean twitchfest gameplay not unlike console button mashers like Mortal Kombat, well, you can have it. Been there, done that.

Twitch gameplay requires a healthy mixture of dexterity, skill, intellect and strategy. It's not really fair to compare the sales figures of a game that has been out for almost a decade to one that has been out for 2 months. WoW has the advantage of time and long built branding, the literal poop in a box joke and all that. Even considering its time handicap, Guild Wars 2 sold what, 2.8m copies in the first few weeks? I'd say that's pretty successful and unlike say TOR or WoW, its business model doesn't require all of those people to stay subscribed.

Personally I find they are games for very different kinds of players, sure there is some overlap but Guild Wars 2 largely shoots for a player who wants a variety of activities whereas WoW is a more traditional theme park experience MMO.

spreadsheet stuff

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone actually defend the spreadsheet stuff, I consider it efficiency play masquerading in the form of difficulty. If nothing else I think Guild Wars 2 proved you can have punishing gameplay without a dense mathematical requirement.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2012, 08:48.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo