Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

21. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 21:18 |RaptoR|

killer_roach wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 20:19:
Rattlehead wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:58:
Lot's of haters here, all less successful.

You'd think he somehow wronged all of these people personally...

...yes, Gears of War is a least-common-denominator cash grab, but it's a successful cash grab that a lot of people (although, clearly, few here) seem to enjoy, and Cliff seemed to enjoy making it.

In the grand scheme of things, that's all you can really hope for. Best of luck to him in any future projects, haters be damned.

Basically this. Cliff worked on some of the most memorable games in my lifetime.

The dude has earned his ego, imo. Him and Tim Sweeney are old school, and you can't blame a company for focusing on a profitable platform. It's not like there was a vendetta against PC gaming, it's just that the Xbox provided the opportunity and Epic seized it. Gaming companies are businesses after all, and you are lying to yourself if you think any of these indie studios would say no to Sony or Microsoft if they were approached to make an exclusive, AAA title on their platform. Straight up.

Common sense aside, the original Unreal ranks among my top 10 all time. Fuck did that game set my imagination off wild. I enjoyed the hell out of Gears of War 1-3, and I barely played the online component outside of mostly friend-populated games or horde mode. They were the publisher of One Must Fall 2097, which I dumped endless hours into on my old 486 DX2 66Mhz. Beast game.

Love it or hate it, Gears of War is a triple-A title that pioneered a lot of things. Horde mode, the off-set third person perspective, an engaging (if shallow) storyline, and remarkable characters (whether or not you loved/hated them, they're memorable and invoke emotion).

And let's not forget Epics charity to the very hostile industry they are in. CliffyB >did< have a lot to do with this. Epic took under their wing a struggling studio (PCF) with a lot of talent but little direction. They then salvaged the big huge games clusterfuck by forming Epic Montreal and hiring most of the original team at BHG. That is some really stand-up shit in an industry full of volatility, hate, and a lack of creativity. Epic is a shining star in an industry populated by Zynga, EA, Activision... and we're out here roasting their lead designer because he's got a little bit of an ego? WTF? This fucker deserves props for his role in saving those jobs ALONE, not including his other contributions to the industry.

Honestly, what is there to hate aside from a dude who was pumped about his games and maybe a little over zealous about his skill and influence?

Aside from being someone who has old school roots, Cliffy was also a great marketing personality. Not unlike Steve Jobs, though I'm not comparing their achievements. They both knew how to get face time with the media and free attention to their titles. He used his outgoing and egotistical personality for that. Dude is vocal, gets material written on him for free, and gets interviews to spout marketing jive. Hate the game, not the player. What he did worked.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 21:25.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo