Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: Non-Gaming Apps on Steam Oct 3, 2012, 00:38 Mashiki Amiketo

Dev wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 21:45:
That would be up to futuremark. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they don't setup a way to get a steam version with a previous key. They will want to sell a 2nd copy to people.
Yeah I guess we'll see, I posted a question on just that and I guess we'll see in a few days. If I hear anything I'll post an update here or in one of the other semi-busy threads later for anyone curious.

The reply:

It is not possible to register an existing key to Steam account.

However, you can use the Steam version with the existing key; As long as you have installed a standalone version and put your key there (so it is stored in your registry), you can then install the free Steam demo version and enjoy the auto updates etc. but it will start up as Advanced (without having to buy it again). The key is also saved to your 3dmark.com account as long as you have submitted one score and registered an account - so it can be looked up from there at any time.

3DMark 11 should also still have a box to input the key to in Help tab even for Steam version. For Vantage you have to use the standalone installer at least once to put the key in (if it isn't in your registry)

second edit:

Note that we have heard reports of 3DM11 steam version not properly saving the key if you input it in the help tab. We're investigating that. What definitely should work is if you already have standalone, put the key there so it is stored on your system and then start up the Steam demo version.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 02:59.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo