Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

120. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 2, 2012, 18:26 Bhruic

D-Rock wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 11:38:
Nope, I'm just responding to your post.

Yes, you were responding to my post by attempting to suggest that systemic inequality is functionally identical to sporatic inequality. Which is a ludicrous position.

Don't generalize for any demographic, regardless of status.

Um, sorry, but generalizations are useful - as long as they are accurate. If most of the people feel or act in a specific way, then it doesn't matter if everyone does.

As a white middle class male I feel that what you said is disrespectful. How can anyone meet in the middle if they don't show respect for an opposing party (or an opposing viewpoint, like on a message board)?

Ok, and I don't care? I'm not trying to meet in the middle. The idea that this is some sort of compromise situation (again, what you were trying to suggest last time) is stupid. As someone else has already said, this isn't a case where both sides have somewhat valid arguments. One side is right, and one side is wrong. There is no middle to meet at.

Those are your words, not mine. I put 'make' in quotes because I'm referring to the attitude that you can 'make' people have a specific belief or opinion on something. Forceful and loud social agendas rarely do anything to change someones mind. People need to put time into standing up for their rights when they've been infringed upon. That is much more productive.

Oh, please, those are exactly your words. It doesn't matter if you put make in quotes or not, it doesn't change the meaning of your sentence. Forceful and loud social agendas aren't designed to change people's minds. They are designed to change society's attitudes. Racism was prevalent when it was acceptable. When people stood up, and said (loudly and forcefully, I assure you) that it wasn't, society changed. Does that mean racism disappeared? Of course not. It does mean, however, that racism is now socially unacceptable. The same goal can be accomplished for LGBTs.

Someone, please educate me on the benefits to same sex marriage. The only thing I could come up with is tax benefits. Is that really all it's about, or is there more to it than I'm aware of?

Someone's already mentioned the hospital situation, which is the tip of the iceberg there. Spouses have lots of legal rights for their partners that you don't otherwise have. Not being allowed to get married denies you all of those rights.

What other rights are there that gays do not have?

It's not simply about rights. It's about attitudes. There are almost no situations where you would get fired for admitting to being a heterosexual. That is not true for homosexuals. There are almost no situations where you would get kicked out of your apartment for being heterosexual. That is not true for homosexuals. There are almost no situations where your family would throw you out on the street and disown you if you told them you were a heterosexual. That is not true for homosexuals. There are almost no situations where you'd get beaten up and possibly killed by people because they knew you were a heterosexual. That is not true for homosexuals.

And the list could go on.

I just hope that people don't think that something like this will influence a political or social agenda for the better, or they will be disappointed. If you keep advertising that you are different and deserve recognition, you too have drawn the very line that you are trying to erase.

Ah, yes, the old "you're allowed to be different as long as you don't tell anyone that you are different" line.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo