Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

15. Re: More Project Eternity Goals Oct 2, 2012, 15:23 eRe4s3r

Heh that is actually a good question. It is neither required to be electronic nor that it goes specifically into a giro bank account. I guess it's just how the system evolved here. Most employees specifically ask for a giro account to pay you because it has some legal/tax related issues if money is not transferred directly to electronic banking (Especially if your employee evades taxes or cheats social security systems). I can assure you that if you live here, you would definitely want your (usual) income to be credited on the giro account, taxes and most legally required thingsare deducted "up-front" anyway. Then there is stuff like health insurance (which is mandatory) or rent. Ie, the giro account is for the monthly in/out. It is not a savings account. Savings should be transferred to proper, specifically made for it, accounts. It get's even better in that most legally relevant payments TO YOU also only go to a giro account. I think it is some legal requirement banks have here, but it also is dangerous because you *CAN* lose a giro account too, and that is usually a very bad thing.

Off hand I have no idea why exactly that is how it is. Nor what a credit union is or does. I can only tell you how I handle it, and expenses and incomes go into 1 account, whatever is left over (ie, after running costs + a safety balance) goes into my savings. Savings are fixed and have higher interest, but giro has low interest (in exchange for no fees). Also paying with EC/Giro is "fee less" that means, a store has to ALWAYS accept you paying with EC/Giro without a fee.

In a sense, this must be a pretty damn weird system from an US perspective.

You have to think of EC/Giro system like a electronic cash system where your cash is in a safe and with permitted deductions money gets taken out of, you can pay with the money that's in, and money you get goes in. It is a central banking system for your expenses (What you do besides giro accounts.. is up to you).

I am surely missing something fundamental about the system here. But it seems like a good system... I probably explained it pretty stupidly though...

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo