Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

4. Re: Checkpoint-only saves Sep 29, 2012, 07:23 xXBatmanXx

2nd_floor wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 15:09:
I agree/understand that manual saves give you complete freedom to reload or replay parts to use up less ammo, but I don't think it is the right way to challenge the player. It takes far too much control away from you. You are forced to play the game as the developers want you to, and for me that ruins it.

You look back at Doom or Quake of the 90s, and tell me if they were not challenging enough, with saving in front of every door (Carmack recommended saving often) and being able to use ammo and health as you wished. You often had to replay parts even with manual saves, because you die so often sometimes.

You have to kill the same number of enemies in the game, regardless of where and how often you save. True that you can better use your ammo/health if you choose. I think there are better ways of making a game challenging though, without making it so frustrating to play parts over and over.

For me checkpoint-only saves take the enjoyment out of the game by 75%! What makes it fun is playing it the way I want to, and with checkpoint-only saves I basically can not do that anymore.

Yea, but games arent "challenging" anymore. Some games dont even have difficulty settings anymore. Quake and Doom were far superior to the level of difficulty and heart pounding fun action than games have now. Most are on the rails shooters with scripted events and boring battles. So not such a good comparison - but I get it.

Checkpoint saves are fine. But there are times I want my own save spot. I like how Borderlands series does it. Save at a checkpoint, certain pole, or when you LEAVE the game. I dont need another save option. I agree with a previous post that it is largely over used and takes away from the game when you can hit auto save every 30 seconds. Lets go back to game mechanics like Demon's Souls.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo