Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2012, 15:13 Flatline

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 13:12:
I don't think it is more difficult to use or troubleshoot given how familiar with the command line I am. Windows is no better in this regard, often hiding things between configuration files in different directories and adding the complexity of the registry hive.

Macs and PCs are largely the same as they've always been - a GUI that works for Most People while obfuscating functionality that adds complexity. The trouble occurs when people need that complexity and that's where the interface, application design and the operating system all clash. Same story everywhere.

My big problem for a lot of the mac software I support is that I think Apple drinks it's own kool-ade when it comes to the idea that they "just work".

Namely, they hate error messages, instructions, diagnostic logs, etc etc... it's especially bad on the iDevices. Shit stops working entirely, and unless you've jailbroken your phone, you can't even access anything. Shit just stops happening on your phone, but the device keeps pretending like all is well.

I mean, yeah, the blue screen of death reads like klingon and the Matrix had an illegitimate love child, but I can google BSOD 0x003B and find out on the first link that I have a bad driver somewhere (Holy shit I got that from memory!). Macs on the other hand would just blank out and stop responding. Entirely. Or give me the bomb, or the frowny mac face. Which is REALLY useful.

The funny thing is that the article herein where the dude bitches about calendars, address books, issues, and sync problems has a simple solution: Jump to Exchange. It's expensive, it's a pain in the ass to configure initially, but once it's up and running, it runs like glass. We're on exchange 07 right now and it supports every tablet, phone, and computer I throw at it with almost zero config issues (biggest issue so far: iOS introduced a "feature" where they auto-change all your appointments when you change time zones. And didn't alert anyone to this change. Which caused all kinds of hell for one of the owners who missed flights and meetings because of Apple douche-baggery). Activesync works wonderfully across multiple platforms, I can push exchange services over HTTPS, and the only issue I've really seen with that is that I have to point mac outlook to a specific file on the server to use exchange over HTTPS instead of just pointing to the server.

I imagine there are other solutions other than exchange, but I haven't had an issue with the platform for years. Starting with 07 they really pushed out a powerful and rather classy piece of software.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo