Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation Sep 19, 2012, 16:27 MattyC

Jivaro wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 16:02:
I don't see why they are waiting so long to go fully F2P.

DC Universe implemented F2P as soon as they realized a monthly sub wasn't going to work. The game still runs, and is even generating some money. I think it is because they didn't wait until everyone quit and the player base was so small that you couldn't make money off the in-game store.

Seems to me that Bioware/EA is counting on people to want to come back and give them a second chance....and with all the competition out there, I am not really sure that is going to work. Would have been smarter to go F2P while you still had most of the players' attention. Particularly given that the biggest complaints about the game revolve around endgame and PVP content...which are the only things to keep you playing after you complete a the story line. Even if people come back, how do you sell them anything in the in-game store if they leave again as soon as they wrap up their storyline?

I don't know, I am not a developer and I have zero experience in managing a project like that....but it just seems like one bonehead short-sighted decision after another.

They actually have a pretty reasonable number of high pop servers from what I have seen. Now how many of those players are free-to-15 like me vs paying users? No idea.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo