Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

28. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 13:56 Flatline

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 13:45:
Flatline wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 13:39:
Still, deciding to end a 3 game, 60+ hour saga with the End-o-matic 3000 where you pick, literally, one of three colors and the End-o-matic spits out your appropriately shaded cutscene shows me that Bioware doesn't "get it" any more really.

That I can agree with. They said in the press that you would not just "pick a colored, canned ending from a few choices" and then it turns out...that is exactly what you do. It was so damning that they started closing topics where people reposted the interview. I thought it was a damned shame, they upped the ante with player choice in prior games but needed to actually follow through on the endings to prove the validity of that story telling method.

Pretty much. And you know what's really funny? The three shit decisions is not a bad thing in and of itself. I get that the reapers were supposed to be some BS Nietzsche Ubermensch that operated on a completely different morality plane than the rest of life itself. I get that Shepherd was eventually, essentially making similar decisions, almost on a different morality plane than most people. But the story didn't lead up to that. If most of ME3 brought that to light, and explored the idea better, it would have been a better leadup to the ending. Oddly enough, I feel like *that* story would have required Shepherd to drift away from his crew and friends, even potentially his romance interest (which would have made for some epic roleplay scenes) as his morality becomes more and more alien due to the choices he has to make. Properly done, Shepherd's story could have been a tragedy, with the three shit endings at the end being a validation of the direction and alienation that Shepherd went through.

Edit: In that light, the 3 cutscenes almost fit from a storytelling sense. Having become Ubermensch, the outcome only interests Shepherd empirically, and doesn't require an "in the mud" point of view ending.

Anyway, I still am pretty much done with Bioware. If they knock one out of the park I'll evaluate it on a case-by-case basis.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo