Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 12:57 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 12:46:
Creston wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 12:10:
Obviously I'm guessing, and I did say that probably anywhere between 50 to 100K people bought Arma 2 solely for Day Z. But has it reached more than 100ish K concurrent users? The concurrent users are often the same group of people just playing every day.

I don't know if they've ever reached 100k concurrent, the "daily players" stat on their site is how many people/accounts have been active in the past 24 hours. Even at the height of zombie hysteria, when 25% of the total users were playing daily, they said they had 22,000 concurrent at peak times. (Rocket gave that number specifically in an interview at Rezzed.)

But again, daily players is only an indication of how popular it is on any given day. To get an idea of total sales, you look at total unique players, which unequivocally boomed in the month of July. If you're interested in seeing that, I managed to dig up this graph that somebody made by noting DayZ stats from its web site every day for a couple months leading up to the 1 million milestone:

http://i.imgur.com/RVQa5.jpg

I had it wrong before, daily players apparently peaked at 210k. And it's not a coincidence that happened after a steep growth throughout the Summer Sale. But it has indeed been declining ever since then, reaching as low as 88k today, seemingly the lowest point since June. I think a lot of that is people buying the game because of the hype around DayZ, then not playing very much because it's too difficult or quirky.

Interesting... I didn't know they'd gone through the effort of figuring out a "unique player" statistic. I just went by the last numbers I saw for concurrent users (three weeks or so ago), which was 100Kish, and extrapolated from there. I do think Day-Z is the kind of game where it's the same 95K people playing every day, because of how frighteningly hardcore it is. A newbie who gets ganked 5 times in the space of an hour is going to stop playing in a hurry.

However, the numbers you've quoted do seem to indicate a lot more sales than I initially thought, so I stand corrected.

Creston

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo