Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 14, 2012, 22:52 dj LiTh

Prez wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 21:56:
I bought the game at the website - as much as I love Steam the devs deserve the cash more than Valve does.

I dont see how all the money could goto the devs since they also provide a steam key. Although i did buy mine from the devs for the added options.

The way I understand it, a developer pays Valve a flat fee to have their game on Steam, but they don't pay one per copy sold on their own website or other retailers. There is a fee Valve takes from each version sold via Steam though. I got this from an indie developer I'm friends with but I have no way of vetting it so take it or leave it.

Thanks for the info. I falsely assumed that because they were possibly going to be using steam's bandwidth that they must be on a per key sale. Now that i think about it, going the Walmart approach with volume business makes more sense. I'd be very curious to see valve's monthly bandwidth usage and costs, although i'm sure that will never happen for obvious reasons. Either way FTL is good fun and worth 9$.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo