Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

81. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 13, 2012, 20:05 NewMaxx

sauron wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 19:07:
Hard for the casual player to pick up how critically important buffs (haste) and debuffs (slow, paralyze) can be since they don't show up on the DPS spreadsheet.

GW2 seems to have the ability for at least some clases to switch modes on the fly, heal to support to dps (not sure about tank, more like bounce aggro around).

It's definitely possible to tank to some degree, I manage it pretty well with my guardian, and I've been experimenting with the aggro system. It does seem to lean towards three things: dps/heal (typical aggro), proximity (closeness to mob), and class (heavier classes attract more than lighter ones). Different mobs lean on these to a variety of degrees. The system seems biased towards being reactive rather than proactive, in the sense that a tank will be control-oriented, that is to say in my assumed role I need to get in the face of any mob not going after me and control the environment to protect allies when I cannot do that, since mobs also have short memories. In a way, that is half tank and half support, and healing/boons tie in nicely with that. I'd call it movement/action-oriented if anything.

In that sense, your FFXI experience matches up pretty well, it's a more advanced system than people give it credit for and is, in many ways, old school, rather than being novel. The novelty in GW2 seems to be its introduction in a more casual and learnable way. I don't want to be overly optimistic about this state of things, but it's possible that the game might encourage a new and larger generation of smarter and more cooperative players; time will tell. Last time I really felt that was in games like Ultima Online or, yeah, FFXI...

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo