Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 14:51 Dev

2nd_floor wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:45:
Damn controlling of users!
Thats EA you are confusing valve with. Valve doesn't care too much about that. The reason why its taken so long to get some features and they are super slow about others, is that its just not very interesting for the valve employees to program that stuff in the UI.

EA actually had a good chance to invest a tiny amount of money and come up with a far superior client. They didn't even bother.
Ray Marden wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 12:13:
It is about time - with super cheap mechanical drives and the rise of (much smaller) SSDs, we can finally - finally - direct the location of installations.
Well, you've always been able to direct it... by using windows junctions/symbolic links. I've been doing that for years, in large part because I do have an SSD. I believe steam mover uses that too.
Its just not integrated into the steam client.
Matshock wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:49:
What was funny was buying that last D&D action game on disc then finding that all it did was connect to Steam and start a dowload. The disc itself had no installation files on it!
Yet another reason not to bother with retail
Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:56:
I need to buy a new HDD. 2TB should finally be falling in price again, right?
Ug.
I saw a 3tb external at costco for $110 or so (easy enough just to remove the drive if external isn't needed). So yeah they are slowly getting there.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo