Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 11, 2012, 19:58 Beamer

Dev wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 19:34:
Beamer wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 16:56:
while CS:S is technically a team game it's really more a shoot-some-guys-but-not-others game.

Kind of like original HL:TDM. Man, I played a ton of that, always on my own team. It was fun being one guy in a 24 person game, most teams having 3-5 people, and still winning.
Then you must not have ever played with a really good team of people or against a really good team on the other side. CS is very much a team game

Back when I was playing CS (not CS:S) I still had people I played regularly with. Occasionally we'd get a good 5x5 game, but we were in different places and this was before it had voice, so coordination wasn't simple. When I went fully solo I tended to find one or two people that wanted to be a team and we'd stick together, but even then it was limited to mostly instinct and just trying to be a team rather than communication.

But CS allows that. Unless the other team is well organized, and typically it isn't, all you need is to stick together. And, if you're good and the other team isn't, you can lone-wolf it very well.

TF2 you can't. Maybe because I put a total of maybe 1.5 hours into it, but I never managed to do very well. As opposed to TFC, in which I have plenty of memories of stealing the flag on my own as a spy or a heavy (hahaha, man, stealing the flag as a heavy was always great. If the other team had no organization you could waltz right in.)

TF2 felt like guaranteed death if you played alone. CS:S you can still dominate. This is why I much prefer games with either no or limited class structure to games where classes are dependent upon each other - finding a random server with random people and playing together well isn't possible.

On the other side, due to the prevelance of headphones on XBL, I managed to find dozens of people to add to my friends list in MW3 that were vocal in playing together. It wasn't much of a team game, either, even more "shoot-some-but-not-all" than CS, but if you had people that were all pretty good and complimented each other well you could go on ridiculous runs. Part of it was just they way they spawned, so the team that wasn't dying would be constantly moving, even if not together, and know there was no one behind them, whereas the team constantly spawning had no clue where anything was coming from, no orientation, and would usually get killed before they got some kind of groove.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo