Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

25. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 17:01 jdwohlever

Am I the only one who sees the writing on the wall?
MMO's are DYING.
Years ago, an MMO would last at least 5 years before it became unprofitable, but now it seems they fail with 6 months.

Name any MMO's that were around 10 years ago that are still around today, I can think of only one. And to be honest, that is the main reason I don't dip into the MMO genre anymore. I don't want to spend months or years developing a character, organizing a guild, learning the ins and outs of the land and various locations, only to get shut-down once I start to become a real master at the game.

I have dedicated a lot of free time a couple of MMO's that went belly-up over the years and I really do see a trend that is speeding up. Used to be, the only online franchises I would stay away from was anything from EA, as EA has never kept a successful online experience for more than a couple years (MotorCity Online, that space one, etc) but now its seems everyone but WoW has failed at the MMO model.

Maybe if there was a re-birth of what an MMO could be, instead of always following the same cookie cutter plot, then they might have a chance.
Running through a boring town 5 times to deliver a boring message to someone about something you don't care about isn't going to hold a person's interest for long.
Why is WoW the only succesful MMO left?
Because the colorful, engaging world makes people want to be there. If you took away WoW's colorful settings and variety of locations and instances and replaced them with realistic dull environments, WoW be gone within 6 months.
You have to make people WANT to escape to your world.
PvP can't hold a person if they don't care what they are fighting for. If they made stories that people actually cared about and didn't just give you a mission that really sounds more like your a lacky fetching cookies and coffee then maybe they could get somewhere.
Think about it, if your game plot/story is so boring that people don't want to read the back story or even listen to an NPC tell you the story, then what is supposed to hold the players to your game?
They always proclaim their endgame PvP like it's some magical place you get to after sloughing through the PvE story.
I got news for you, a lot of people, myself included, play an MMO for the PvE or story first. If your story or PvE is bad then just focusing on PvP isn't going to keep players long unless your willing to nerf and buff everything they demand, which changes weekly.
Build a great enough world, with an exciting and engaging story that keeps players interested and actually caring whether there faction is winning the war. Make winning the war a real reason people would want to fight. Either remove pointless "kill ten sheep" grinding, or turn it into something more engaging that people would do anyway.
Too many rules, restrictions and heartless plot points take away not only from the players sense of purpose, but make the player feel like they are seen as non-intelligent pawns just going through the same motions in a pointless fetch quest.
If you can't make the individual feel special, or that he/she matters in the grand scheme of things, then your not going to fool many people for very long.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2012, 17:18.

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo