Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

43. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 11, 2012, 03:02 RailWizard

Prez wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 21:01:
All I ever really wanted from Valve the Game Company is more Half-Life. I suck ass at Counterstrike, despise F2P multiplayer games like TF2 and DOTA, and have had my fill of Left 4 Dead. But I still think Valve is the most important gaming company in history next to id (the old id, not the id of today) . The reason is Steam. Not only is Steam revolutionary, it has, in my opinion, saved PC gaming and has almost singlehandedly made it thrive in a gaming landscape heavlily dominated by consoles. I'm a fanboy, sure. But even if you aren't, can you honestly deny that Steam has had an overwhelmingly positive affect on PC gaming? How many PC game makers would have long since switched to console exclusives by now were it not for Steam illustrating clearly the market's viability? How many indie developers would remain undiscovered or would have just given up by now if it weren't for Steam?

Steam has some major issues that annoyingly have gone unaddressed for years now, so there is plenty of room for criticism. But I frankly just don't see how anyone can argue that Steam hasn't been great for PC gaming. Valve may suck at fan service when it comes to making games and keeping fans of their key franchise interested, but they made Steam, and that makes them great to me.

Yeah I pretty much agree with all that. I came off initially very trollish, but let's face it, trolling is like saying hello on the internet.

Half-life was definitely a fond memory. I had my moments in CS in the old days. I played a shitload of TF2 before it was F2P. I couldn't care less about DOTA. Portal I think was a decent puzzle game, I do in no way think it was worthy of a AAA price however. L4D was pretty good also, but yeah it got old fast as it's more of a social game, requiring teamwork beyond what public matches can provide.

As for Steam, yes I do love it. I have the '8 years of service badge', and I've been on it longer than that.(they don't count beta apparently...) As I've mentioned, I only complain because I care.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo