Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

28. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 02:23 Dev

RailWizard wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 01:07:
Dev wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 00:57:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 00:48:
edit: actually to clear things up, MY advice to Valve is to become relevant again. I.E. RELEASE some games that you have developed.
As I've said in a number of threads, valve could never again release another game, and still rake in piles of cash. Steam will continue to give them piles of money for the foreseeable future. In fact, releasing their own games makes them very little compared to what steam brings in. It has nothing to do with them being relevant as a company.

So your answer is simply that they are making money, so who cares if they don't make money based on what made them famous to begin with?

As I HAVE pointed out, I do like steam and I like the games I have bought off of it, but I am still leery just the same as if it was EA that I was trusting with my 100+ game library. Steam is already quite bloated IMO, and it seems that it is 'full steam ahead' in that direction. I DO NOT like that.

Serve MY games, that should be enough. They need to remember what they are.
No, I didn't say who cares. I said that has nothing to do with them being relevant as a company.

I care. I want more games in the same universe. But since valve doesn't seem much interested in pushing them out in even a remotely reasonable timeframe, I think they should farm it out, like they did with opp for.

And EA and Valve are hugely different companies. EA only cares about profits and pleasing shareholders. They don't care much about if they screw over customers or not (as they frequently do). If it makes them an extra buck, they will screw over the customer in a heartbeat. Valve really doesn't care nearly that much about profits, and doesn't have any public shareholders, so they aren't beholden to them. They at least aren't actively out there trying to screw over customers. Its just not too interesting to do their best to serve them at all times.

As for full steam ahead, well doing these new things is interesting to them. Everything valve does can be easily explained by the question "is it interesting to them to do this?" If it is, they will probably do it. If its not, they probably won't. Cost isn't an issue. Most of the few remaining things are explained by Gabe's obsession (his word not mine) with his employee's health.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo