Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

41. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 9, 2012, 10:48 LurkerLito

Jerykk wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 01:29:
If by "fluff content," you mean "more of the same gameplay that you enjoyed in the first game," sure? Because that's what it was. Just more of the same. Same combat, same exploration, same platforming, same puzzle-solving. DS2 just had more of it and a lot of it was optional.
I am pretty sure what turned many fans of DS1 to disliked DS2 was a complete change to the game play mechanics. While combat, and puzzles were the same, the game play changed from an action game with some RPG-ish elements to a full blown aRPG with inventory management, buying and selling, and grinding for levels. In DS1 War was powerful from start to finish, the RPG-ish elements were just improving his weapons and buying skills. In DS2, you now have to deal with levels, a skill tree, grabbing dropped weapons, selling them to make room for more, buying skills, improving possessed weapons, running into creatures far stronger than Death making him feel significantly weaker than War in the beginning.

While I like both games, the first one was better put together. It was a game where the story fit the game play and the game play mechanics matched. In DS2, the story fits the game play but the game play mechanics clash. DS1 War was powerful throughout the game even after he was stripped of his powers. In DS2, Death is weak and gets stronger, and his weapons sucked and have to be constantly replaced. For a supposed horseman of the apocalypse, it clashes with the story but is done that way to fit it to the aRPG game mechanics.

In other words, they took a Action game like Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry and made it more like Diablo.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo