Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: Do it! Come on, do it! Do it now! Sep 6, 2012, 14:13 Tigger

You missed my point. My point was that you should be able to disable hardware virtualization in VMware without uninstalling it or changing your BIOS setting so you can test Hyper-V.

There isn't a way to disable hardware virtualization in VMWare as a whole (at least not that I know of), it can only be disabled per VM.

And even if you could, you would no longer be able to run 64-bit guests. HW virtualization is required for 64-bit guests.

And even if you didn't want to use a 64-bit guest, if you try to install Hyper-V when VMWare is installed, Windows will not let you.

And even if you could MAKE windows let you install the Hyper-V role or change the install order (Hyper-V THEN VMWare), most likely you would have to do a bunch of crap to prevent it from crashing.

Putting virtualization in a consumer OS like Windows 7 and 8 and then not being able to use it for any applications which use Direct3D or OpenGL is just pointless. A server can get away with only running 2D apps, but a consumer PC can't. Even business applications like many of Adobe's products have 3D functionality. Microsoft has no excuse for doing that especially since it develops Direct3D.

Except to do work.

Besides, in order to install Hyper-V, you would need Pro or higher:

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo