Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

43. Re: Ubisoft Scrapping Always on DRM Sep 5, 2012, 15:30 Keilun

From the article:

Whenever you want to reach any online service, multiplayer, you will have to be connected, and obviously for online games you will also need to be online to play.

Call me the skeptic, but seriously this reads to me as a play on words. Using the right words to denounce always-on DRM, but really in effect still leave it in play. HoMM 6 and Anno 2070 have clearly added specific gameplay revolving around this "online" component. If you're not online, you miss out on progression within those gameplay elements and any features they provided.

None of the online elements in HoMM 6's conflux were necessary, yet they were tied to their Uplay service to create a perceived value. This is really the same debate as the always-on DRM on Diablo III, except with a much shittier implementation/integration..

Within the lines of the above quote, I'm sure it won't be long before they start offering more and more of core gameplay elements as "online" elements requiring a connection.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo