Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

16. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 13:45 SimplyMonk

$100 is a worthy fee just to be seen on Steam Greenlight right now. A buddy of mine is an independent developer, (Black Chicken Studio), that focuses on very niche titles. Getting his title onto to Steam Greenlight netted him enough interest for his game, Scheherazade, already to make back that $100 easy, even though he submitted Day 1. People saw his game, commented both negatively and positively, and a good amount of people even saved it to their favorites. Not talking large numbers here and most likely not enough to actually get on Steam, but far better than he could do on his own. The fact that Valve is donating the money to charity is just icing on the cake for what is essentially free advertising.

Now, I don't know how useful of an advertising and publicity outlet Greenlight will be in the future, but right now it is fairly good considering I even discovered a few titles that were already launched, I'm interested in, but never even heard of until Greenlight.

Also, Steam's old approval process was horrid. You either had to know someone at Valve, have a solid track record and titles on Steam already or prove yourself somewhere else first just to even get an e-mail back from them. Although I doubt it was official, unless you were pushing solid figures on other portals, Steam wouldn't even pay attention to your existence. Can't necessarily blame them though because I imagine the number of submissions they get are fairly high considering the current state of the Greenlight (minus the troll submissions).

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo