Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

36. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2012, 07:46 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 23:30:
Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 18:59:
Kitkoan wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:47:
PHJF wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 16:56:
CoD sells because of online play, you dolt. Everybody online is on equal footing.

Because it was made with easy mode. I pointed that out.

Regenerating health, assisted auto-aim, death is more of a bonus to refill on ammo instead of a penalty

These are all on the multiplayer mode. And CoD wasn't the first game to have multiplayer FPS action, many did before it. It was the first to have it all built on easy mode extras though and thats what helped sell it.

Multiplayer isn't easy, though. Most of that autoaim is turned off, and you get people that can regularly go 4:1 K:D and people that regularly go 1:5 K:D. Skill is still very much alive in multiplayer.

As for single player being easy, I'd disagree there, too. Yes, it has easy elements, but then it cheats with unfair elements to balance it out. On the hardest difficulty I had plenty of sections that took me double digit loads to get to the next checkpoint. I would never, ever call it easy, as I found many older PC games much easier (quicksave!) Infinite enemies, 1 hit deaths and a good amount of smoke and darkness outweigh regenerating health and a limited auto-aim (remember, it only autoaimed when you zoomed in, and you had to be motionless to have any accuracy, all of which made you an easy target to infinitely spawning bad guys with incredible accuracy.)

CoD is quite possibly the worst example to give when it comes to difficulty. CoD SP is difficult (on Veteran) because it's completely unfair. Infinitely spawning enemies who spam grenades with pinpoint accuracy every 0.6 seconds = bad design.

Of course, on consoles, CoD SP has full auto aim. Seriously, your reticule automatically snaps to the nearest enemy when you enter iron sights. You don't even have to move the camera. As long as an enemy is on-screen when you enter iron sights, your aim will automatically snap to him. It's the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

I called it "bad design" like 2 posts above you. But bad design doesn't mean it's easy. The game is definitely not easy.

It's just not hard in fun ways. That doesn't mean it's easy. My contention was never that it was well designed or a good example of how to make a game hard, just responding to someone saying it was easy. There's no way in hell anyone can call CoD an easy game on the market right now. Deus Ex: HR was an easier game to complete. The difference is that CoD is hard in really stupid ways.

Also, it isn't "full autoaim." Remember Doom? That was full auto-aim. Point near something and you hit it. In CoD you at least need to snap to it and then hope you're still enough to hit it. It's auto-aim, but not the "full autoaim" every game prior to Quake had. It's a minor step more in the player's control. And it's necessary, since half the time you have guys so far away that they're 5 pixels high shooting you through smoke so, even if you could make those pixels out, they're obscured anyway. Auto-snap-aim will find and kill them and be the only way to survive.
It's idiotic design.

And it's not in multiplayer.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo