Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

35. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2012, 02:48 jdreyer

For me it's all about options and control. Games that have easy modes are offering me control so I can play the game I want to play. A couple of anecdotes.

I loaded up SupCom/Forged Alliance again after four years, played skirmish against the AI and got my ass handed to me. I had forgotten most of the controls, shortcuts, build orders, and strategies, so having an easy mode to go back to to learn all of that stuff again was appreciated and fun.

Back in the day, I had a GF who liked Diablo, but no other games. I wanted to get her into FPSs, but every time she played she freaked out and spazed out, and would give up in frustration. Enter Unreal Tournament, which (to this day) allows you to set the game speed. I set it to 50% (essentially slowing the game down to half speed) so she could learn to navigate the 3D environments, get used to the weapons, learn how to track a moving target, etc. She was up to about 90% quickly (although she never went above that) and had a fun time playing it. I would have never gotten her there without that mode.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo