Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 31, 2012, 23:17 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 19:39:
Slashman wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 08:49:
Why is that unlikely? Skyrim hasn't left the top 20 Steam charts since it launched last November. Console sales for a game peter out very quickly. While they may not have outsold both platforms combined(and I am not sure they haven't), they probably outsold each console by a large margin.

Oblivion on Xbox outsold the PC version "many times over" according to a developer quote. In addition, Todd Howard when speaking of mods said "90% of our audience is on the consoles."

I would guess Skyrim sold on PC surprisingly well, hence all the post-release support, but saying it sold more than either console, especially both combined, is quite unrealistic.

Oblivion was basically a launch title for the X360, so it's unsurprising that it sold especially well on that platform. That 90% quote is years old as well (I believe Howard said it during a Fallout 3 interview back in 2008). I'm pretty sure Skyrim PC has outsold all of Bethesda's previous PC games, hence the surprising amount of post-release support. During the Bethesda mod presentation (I think), Howard referred to Skyrim PC players in the millions. Skyrim has been in the Steam top 10 list every week since the game was released last November. That's 10 months. Then you have the rapid growth of the PC market in recent years (thanks to digital distribution, which wasn't even remotely as popular when Oblivion and FO3 were released) vs the decline of the console market as this generation nears its end.

When you consider all those facts and the generally poor critical reception of the PS3 version, it's actually quite plausible that the PC version outsold the PS3 version. Outselling the X360 is a little less likely but not as unrealistic as you seem to believe.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo