Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Exosuit Reveal; Beta Access Ending Aug 28, 2012, 14:46 yuastnav

I remember that after some time I loathed the Half Life engine and could not understand why they discarded the net code from the original Quake 2 basis, which was probably the best part. Stupid move there, Valve.
The thing is that it was too slow for Natural Selection, if you were a quick fade it would be entirely possible for you to die after you blinked around two corners already.
When they announced that they were going to use their own engine I was relieved because I thought they were going to do a good job.

Well, the netcode is basically even worse than in the original Half Life. I literally stood in front of a non-moving marine (as a Skulk) and bit him three or four times and not one single attack connected (we both had a normal ping) and have seen similar things happen to other players.
Same thing happens when you try to shoot a Skulk as a marine. The bullets do not seem to hit. :/

On the other hand Natural Selection 2 is the game that Natural Selection wanted to be. Natural Selection should have been a slightly scary, dark game where you had this asymmetric constellation of teams and while the latter part was still true it just wasn't that dark or scary (especially because people cranked up the brightness in competitive games anyway).
Unfortunately the movement is not as smooth in Natural Selection 2 as it is in Natural Selection 1. For some reason they decided not to implement bunny hopping which was really fun when you played as a Skulk (and other glitches, like wall-running as a marine etc.) so it makes this game less competitive than Natural Selection in general (at least to me).

But the atmosphere is much better. The lighting is really good, especially when you go into a dark room with your flashlights because the power node was killed and try to find those skulks. So if they actually manage to smooth this game out then it's going to be really good, it already is.

Fortunately most of the changes they made are decent and pretty fun, cannot really complain. I will miss the Fade's blink but the current ability is kind cool, too. Much more like the blink from 1.04.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo