Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 24, 2012, 07:57 Verno

Yakubs wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:36:
I think people who claim the combat is a massive improvement over WoW and the like are high/delusional. It's very similar. You DO click on your target and use a skill rotation. Yeah, you can dodge around too but, sorry, that's not interesting. That's a twitch mechanic. Yes, there is no dedicated healer which can be good but it doesn't change the fact that you're playing a mini-game revolving around cooldown management where in many cases you spend more time staring at the interface than the game world.

A twitch mechanic is good, it keeps you involved with the combat and gives the player something to pay attention to other than a combat log. Yes, skills have cooldowns, this is still an MMO. You don't really have a rotation though, maybe at level 5 but later on you have to pay attention as the game gets hard pretty fast and those contextual abilities start to matter.

The skill system is lame too. When I hit level 5 and saw that I was now able to pick from a list of 15 skills, I was happy. Then I read the description of each skill and facepalmed. Half of them are clearly useless except MAYBE in rare situations, the other half are simple variations of skills you already have. Every class has like 100 skills and they're all a variation of: Do X damage and/or apply Y status effect.

This one I don't get. Maybe compared to Diablo 3 or something it's boring? What class are you referring to? What is it you are looking for specifically? Over the top animations to accompany them? More flavor in the text descriptions? I don't know, the skills are largely damage or utility based like most other games. Again this is still an MMO. The primary method of dealing with things is to damage them in some form and you need a variety of utility skills to help you deal with different combat sitations. Go play a rifle warrior and a greatsword warrior, they have drastically different playstyles despite "just being a bunch of skills you hit".

This ad-hoc party-based system is interesting in theory but in their execution it's kind of dumb. It's not so much an ad-hoc party system, rather it's an ad-hoc ARMY system. An event appears on the map and suddenly you're just a face in the crowd as 100 players all swarm a single giant enemy or a group of enemies and proceed to spam everything they've got.

This is more of a beta thing combined with their scaling system. Everyone (yourself included) was flooding the newbie zones in beta and the events scale largely by player count. You complained that it was hard to assess your personal contribution to a large scale fight and there's some truth to that, it's hard to make a meaningful impact in a crowd of 200 people. That changes quite a bit when you help a group of 5 people struggling to deal with an event somewhere.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2012, 09:34.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo