Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

59. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2012, 07:42 nutshell42

Verno wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 06:49:
No one said the start menu in previous versions of Windows was more useful necessarily, that's a different argument.

But apart from it the only Metro fragment you're likely going to see with any regularity is the Wifi config (if you have a notebook and often switch wifi networks), how's that ramming Metro down our throats? =)

Correction, there's the search; I never used the start menu search for anything but apps and settings, but if you used some of the more advanced features it might be annoying. No idea.

I don't agree with your conclusion about context switching

Why? My rationale:

1. You open the start menu to start a new program
2. Hence the program you used before opening the start menu and after are different (even if you later switch back to the first)
3. Compared to switching from one program to another the question whether you use a menu or a screen is a minor difference.

I really don't like to sound like the Windows evangelist but I just don't get how the question of the size of the start menu can justify the vitriol that's heaped on Windows 8.
Hell, I'd understand if people complained that they didn't add enough stuff for desktop users since 7; but I guess ppl can't say that because it'd undermine the story of 7 being the embodiment of perfection and 8 the spawn of Satan.

Oh and my 2 favorite bullshit complaints:
1. "I searched for hours for the shutdown button" -- your PC's got a power button
2. "My grandma'll never find the start screen hot corner" -- Every keyboard has a windows key; most have 2.

There's so much legitimate stuff you could complain about. The store is Jobsian fascist wonderland, the cloud integration everywhere is annoying and the uselessness of Metro with a mouse is completely unnecessary. A more elegant integration of Metro and Desktop would go a long way. The Office 2013 beta with the collapsible window chrome shows how it could've been done.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2012, 07:48.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo