Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

55. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 22:27 Verno

noman wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 21:26:
I answered this before as well. I don't know how many times you power on the PC every day, but clicking one tile to enter desktop mode is hardly something to get worked up on. From then on, you stay in desktop mode.

I was addressing the comment that Metro isn't forced on the user. You can't disable it without third party functionality that can't be counted on in the corporate space. Microsoft went out of its way to accomplish that. It is a second interface that users must now deal with, to what extent will depend on their workflow and whether people even adopt Windows 8. It is not exactly uncommon workflow to see activities driven from the start menu and desktop itself, particularly when you're dealing with users migrating from Windows XP.

As for the start-screen itself, I believe most users will end up finding it more useful than the old start menu.

The response I've observed has been overwhelmingly negative, I'm not sure whether that's just the odd juxtaposition of two interface designs or people weary of another OS upgrade so soon. I guess time will tell. I personally do not find it more useful, I get most of my "at a glance" information from my phone these days like most other users.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo