Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

51. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2012, 19:39 Verno

Has microsoft embraced the idea of free games & apps that have mini advertisements in them? My nieces have android tablets chock full of games that didn't cost a dime.

They will allow WinRT apps that have ads in them, yes. Some of their official apps appear to have ads too according to others judging by this thread but the native apps I tried were garbage and didn't even notice them as a result.

And the metro interface isn't shoved in your face, if you don't want it.

Metro is the first thing you see when you boot up and Microsoft specifically disabled the functionality allowing the user to bypass it. You have to omit pieces of functionality in the operating system to fully ignore Metro. Yes, you can spend the majority of your time in the desktop but you will spend some time in Metro itself or bouncing on the periphery whether you like it or not. There are some methods of accomplishing similar tasks in both interfaces but often times you are presented with the Metro equivalent first when the conditions are triggered.

For some people that will be fine, for other people that won't be acceptable. Windows 8 is a fine operating system but Metro is a really unfortunate user interface that is married to desktop users for reasons passing both understanding and an overwhelming amount of feedback. All of this is fixable with a simple toggle or set of options which isn't exactly unreasonable of people to ask for.

Anyways I've posted a bunch on this already so I'll just conclude with the fact that I've only had a chance to evaluate Windows 8 in a work environment but Metro came up enough in my day to day workflow to be disruptive to the experience.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo