Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

2. Re: etc., etc. Aug 20, 2012, 21:09 Cutter

It'd be best not to use [the Dungeons & Dragons] mechanics or the Planescape license. One reason is doing so would undermine some of the joys of the Kickstarter (not having to answer to anyone but the players if we take a license, we have to answer to the franchise holder), I'm not sure Wizards/Hasbro/whoever knows where to take the license, and looking back on Planescape: Torment, it's been clear to me that we had to bend a lot of rules to get some of the mechanics and narrative feel we wanted. Could we have done that easier outside of a Planescape universe? Sure.

Yeah, but Torment - in and of itself - is a cool effing IP. WOTC is and always has been the problem because they were TCG guys, not PnP guys. They've never had the first clue what to do with the various D&D related IPs Had TSR been able to hang on all the D&D IPs would probably be huge right now.

Fuck a duck! They could utilize the shit of this and their IPs to great effect! Planescape, Greyhawk, Spelljammer, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Al Qadim, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, et al. all just sitting around begging to be made into games.

Whilst, I have no doubt that Avellone and co. could do a good spiritual successor with a new IP it simply wouldn't be the same thing. I effing love Jeff Grub's effing Manual of the Planes and how Planescape utilized it. Why start that all over from scratch?

So long as WOTC would be flexible to the idea that could mean a whole new slew of D&D games, or better still...a new NWN style game that would be supported by selling the settings for the various IPs so people could create their own adventures. Ahh, a man, can effing well dream, can't he?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo