Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

9. Re: Replay: Deus Ex Aug 20, 2012, 16:23 Flatline

Raptor wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 06:47:
Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 01:26:
Bet wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 20:16:
That Warren Spector commentary is...insightful. Deus Ex apparently was a fluke. A genius fluke, but wow, we're lucky that we got the game like we did.

I used to say "This is why it's been so hard to succesfully make another Deus Ex", but the guys in Montreal proved that it actually CAN be done.

No they didn't.
They proved what a Deus Ex game will be if you try to copy a formula that worked because there weren't rules.
Dx3 tried to simplify too much by making the game more "user friendly"
So what you had was a great shell with a lot of stuff made into quick time action prompts which removed a lot of the emergent gameplay that made Dx special.

It was just too clean, too simplified and a bit yellow.

Wait what?

I remember more or less *no* QTEs. If you mean the takedowns and shit, I don't see how a quick cut scene destroys "emergent" gameplay.

And most of the "emergent" gameplay in the original DX was AI bugs that were either annoying or hilarious.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo