Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2012, 21:34 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:53:
Yes, get 16GB of RAM when no consumer-grade application uses more than four... makes perfect sense...

RAM is cheap, a 16GB kit is only about $40 more than an 8GB kit, so if you're going to build a super gaming rig, why not? No one single application may use more than 4GB, and with 8GB you'll still get swapping running some games and/or heavy multitasking. It also gives Windows' Superfetch more to work with.

I originally built my system with 4GB. I would always close everything when running games, but it still hit the swap file pretty hard. I later bought an 8GB kit, and ran with just the 8GB while I burned it in. It made a world of difference, but I still got some swapping. I put my 4GB in with it. I was worried I might have problems since they were different brands and timings, but they played nice.

Going from 8GB to 12GB was just as much a difference as going from 4GB to 8GB. Now I fire up games without closing down other programs without giving it a second thought, and I have never seen Windows touch the swap file. I used to have to use my netbook to check email and look shit up on the internet while gaming, but now I just leave everything running and ALT tab out of the game without any slowdowns.

MeanJim on Steam

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo