Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: OnLive Layoffs Follow-up Aug 18, 2012, 18:58 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:30:
Quboid wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 16:13:
Prez wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 14:27:
OnLive's failure is not a surprise (it's a product without any market whatsoever); however I am interested to know if it even worked reasonably well? I could never be bothered to try it, being a product I have zero I interest in or use for, but I do find the technology ( low latency realtime streaming) pretty interesting. I've heard conflicting reports.

It was better than I'd expected, but that's not saying a whole lot. It looked like a Youtube video and the latency, while minimal, did affect gameplay.

Yeah, on the one hand that amazes me that it worked at all; on the other it amazes me that they actually thought people would actually want to play a game like that. I am not a console gamer but given the choice between OnLive and buying an XBox or PS3 I'd buy the console without a second thought.

I tried it for several months and really didn't have much of an issue. The few latency issues I had were mostly noticed in racing-based games, even the twitch shooters like Frontlines weren't any worse than a general latency lagspike. Even in Arkham City I didn't have issues.

I won't lie that it really shined in RTS-style games though.

This is all on Uverse at 10/1, but with anything online, YMMV.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo