Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 21:02 jdreyer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:19:
Rig building time:

$1200-1500 range.
Rig only.
No periphs needed.

Ready go.

I am thinking about the build at Sharky Extreme: (i7 build)
Guide Here

Take out preiphs and it is 1500 on the nuts.

I just did a build, and disagree with some of those parts.

1. CPU. You don't need a core i7 unless you're doing heavy video editing. A core i5 will do you fine. And the 2600K is an older sandy bridge part. Go with ivy bridge: Intel Core i5-3570K (K is for unlocked multiplier)

2. Graphics. Splurge on your graphics card: get a GTX 670 which uses the new Kepler GPU. It's a beast that's future proof for years. The 560 is good, but it's older tech. I suggest either the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce (which I bought) or Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II. Both of these are overclocked and offer almost the same perf as a GTX 680. My Windforce has three fans and is whisper quiet to boot. Some people are reporting stability problems with the ASUS over on Newegg, but the professional reviews have been shiny. The Gigabyte has good reviews by both reviewers and the public.

3. Case. Unless you live in a pristine environment, you're going to get dust in your case. My 8800GTX bought the farm after only 3 years after getting clogged and overheating. The HAF is a good case, but lacks removable washable dust covers. I went with a Raven RV3, one of the few cases that has dust covers that are removable from the side, so you don't have to pull them out from the rear. For the side and rear fan mounts I bought a couple of magnetic covers.

4. BRD Player. Up to you, but you could go with a DVD RW for $20 instead of the $80 for the BRD Player. I only watch BRDs on my TV using my set top player. Optical drives are going by the wayside.

Hope this helps.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo