Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

27. Re: Spector Calls Out Carmack & Sweeney Aug 17, 2012, 10:45 sauron

Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 11:29:
I actually agree with Spector's main point (though it appears he doesn't quite understand what John Carmack's job has actually been all this time)...

I do as well, and from other posts in this thread it seems I'm not the only one. The best games I've played have been ones with a deep story and believable characters and NPCs. I think a lot of people also feel that way.

The problem with id software is that they have an ace programmer who designs engines, but then they use the new toy to make the same game they made 5 years previously, only shinier. That's why RAGE sucked.

If someone were to take Carmack's work and uses it to add polish to a game with a deep story and excellent AI, it would sell bucketloads. But id never do that - they don't have anyone as talented with game design as Carmack is with engine design.

Bethesda is probably the only mainstream game design outfit I've seen that talk about AI and seem to make a real effort with it. No accident their games sell so many copies. People love the immersion in their designs, and interesting and believable characters are a big part of that.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2012, 10:52.

Kittens!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo