Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

123. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 17, 2012, 00:17 netnerd85

D-Rock wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:17:
What is their agenda anyway? Sure, have a convention with nothing but homosexual gamers so you can game safely, but at the end of the day you go home and the homophobic trash-talkers are still there. My opinion is that singling themselves out is a waste of time -- but to each his/her own.
By your own admission you don't get it, so why don't you start listening? It's to create awareness. It's to correct misinformation. There are plenty of misinformed people in the world. Some people think that being gay is a choice. Some people don't realise how many gay/lesbian and bisexual people there are - let alone how many people don't call themselves that, yet they still practice same-sex "activities". Married men enjoying the occasional bit on the side with a fellow man for example, "don't tell my wife" is their battle cry.

D-Rock wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:17:
See my previous post so you can understand my experience with discrimination. I'm not sure if 'get over it and move on' is the best choice of words, but if you want to accomplish dreams and goals in life you pretty much have to do that when you encounter obstacles. If you decide to stop when you hit one of those obstacles and just sit around and complain that it's not fair, that's your choice.
You have not been clear at all about your experience with "discrimination". In fact you are becoming extremely vague in your posts. When you create an event that promotes equal rights that is not complaining.

On one side yes, life isn't fair and you have to battle through it and get on with the job. But on the other side you have a social responsibility to give back by becoming more and contributing to the world to make it a better place. For instance, if people didn't do that. I and others would still be beaten and put into prison for who we are. If those that came before us didn't stand up and say "give us equal rights" then myself and hundreds of millions of other peoples lives would be far less enjoyable.

You can't go through life with your head down, side stepping issues. Pretending everything is fine. We have come a long way, we have a long way to go as well.

GaymerCon will provide a place for young and old gamers that are homosexual to meet up. It's not very easy to spot a gay gamer. Why is it important? Have you heard of love? Gamers really don't get out much and lets face it. Gamers aren't exactly the most willing people to go out and socialize at the best of times. I'm extremely lucky to have found someone who shares the same interest as me. Playing COOP games is great for a relationship.

When you do live in a society where being gay is frowned upon by many religious groups and ignorant people. Having a safe haven to go where everyone in the room is perfectly OKAY with you being who you are is a huge relief and you will NEVER understand that relief until you understand the level of discrimination we are talking about here.

So please, open your ears and perhaps your heart and listen.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo