Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

5. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 15, 2012, 23:45 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 23:23:
EDIT: I also wanted to say that $900K is kind of a crazy goal, but obviously you need cash to make a game like this.

I'm actually quite glad developers are getting comfortable about listing higher amounts as Kickstarter goals. It's more honest/realistic. Yeah, you could make a decently-produced game for three, four, or five hundred thousand, but there hasn't been a single big project where they weren't ecstatic to get $1 million+. Why? Because that really gives them the freedom and ability to do the game right.

Remember how Fargo was fully-prepared to match the $500k KS goal for Wasteland 2 with his own money? He knew it would take at least that much to make it, but they were scared to ask the full amount from people because only Double Fine and reached those heights before. Now we've had probably a dozen projects get up into the high six figures, so newer ventures are dropping some of that pretense.

I wish Hidden Path would have set the amount higher for Defense Grid 2, as their little experiment of a low goal with long stretch targets laid out at the beginning didn't work so well. I think they would have raised a lot more if they had been more straightforward.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo