Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 20:24 Rigs

Maybe if we tell them we don't want a sequel to the best damn Star Wars combat space-sim ever made, they'll actually do it?

I say that not exactly knowing how it was, to be honest. Risking my membership in the 'Hardcore Gamer' club, I need to say that I never played Tie Fighter.

*Hushed Silence*

Seriously, I played X-Wing to death (literally, the 3.5" inch floppies fell apart after five years of constant use) and because I was playing X-Wing so much (and it's expansions), while I knew very well about Tie Fighter, I never bought it. This one tops my list of games that I wished I had gotten back in the day but, for some reason, never did. (Some others include 1942: Pacific Air War and Aces Over Europe, both I was very aware of but was still engrossed in Aces of the Pacific to get). Even to this day, though I have a download of the original and the cd enhanced version specially tailored for use in DOSBox, I haven't played it. I pretty much went from the original X-Wing to X-Wing Alliance, without playing any of the games in-between (X-wing vs Tie Fighter demo being an exception). BUT! Having said that, I do possess a VERY early demo of Tie Fighter. It came on two 3.5" floppies in a gaming mag and was part of an advertisement for the 'new' Dodge Neon (that's how old it is). It featured one mission that may or may not have been in the full game. I'm just not sure. However, the game itself is a curiosity because while you're in a new cockpit (a Tie Fighter), the X-Wing graphics engine is still being used. Basically it was an alpha demo, as the things that had been changed to that point would constitute a major MOD, not a whole different game. Playing it, you can tell that it's X-Wing with a different cockpit and your friend/enemy indicators switched. The demo itself goes on forever, basically a gauntlet. The longest I was ever able to stay alive was around two hours, but after an hour or so they start throwing A-Wings at you (from Rogue Squadron, no less) and it's VERY hard to keep from getting blown up by their concussion missiles...

tl;dr - I didn't play Tie Fighter but still would like to eventually and yes, LA should make a new one...

*whew*

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo