Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 13, 2012, 14:19 ItBurn

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 13:55:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 13:25:
I completely disagree. Bethesda's quests were less linear and allowed for a lot more choices. The writing itself was very similar. I found Fallout 3 better than New Vegas in almost all areas.

I'm with SV on that one, the quality of the writing and the quest design in New Vegas is heads and tails above FO3. Most quests have several different resolutions, decisions made are much more meaningful and there is a fair bit of branching that doesn't really exist in FO3. You're literally the first person I've ever heard say they thought FO3 had better writing and quest design.

I thought FO3 had better open world exploration, there was more stuff to find and it would often have some back story attached. That's really about all it did better though IMO.

Yeah, I haven't heard anyone else with my opinion either :p

But it's just true(to me). In FO3, I did exactly what I wanted all the time. In New Vegas, I constantly had to compromise and there were some really shitty mechanics. Like, I wanted to kill a scientist at the bottom of a dungeon. This would allow me to finish the quest the way I wanted to. If I did that tho, I would lose reputation with a faction, even tho NOONE else was there and I was undetected, making this course of action impossible. There were a ton of other examples like that. You must finish the mission in one of two very rigid ways, none of which were what I wanted to do.

Quest example from FO3: Guy asks you to find x amount of keys to open a secret vault with lots of loot. He doesn't want to tell you where it is. Let's forget the lengthy part where you get the keys. You get all the keys, then you can figure out yourself where it is if you have the skills, if not, you can give him the keys, and follow him there, or give him the keys, then learn of where it is and go there to share the loot, or find out another way where the place is, or even kill the guy, or finally, the way I did it, give him the keys, learn where the vault is, then pickpocket the keys back and leave. None of this would break the quest and the guy would always react accordingly.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2012, 14:25.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo