Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

40. Re: Diablo III 1.04 This Month Aug 12, 2012, 22:07 hyperwired

s1mon75 wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 19:33:
hyperwired wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 04:45:
Duh. Way to oversimplify it.

I like my steel swords; I'm a bit of a collector, but there aren't many craftsmen who make them any more; lately more and more people are getting into swordfighting and are taking preference to wooden swords which are easier to start with and more suited to casual bouts. I'm happy for them because swordfighting is gaining popularity and they are enjoying a fine sport and honing their swordsmanship. Hell, every now and then I use a wooden sword just for the change and its refreshing.

But what is starting to happen is that now its very hard to find a craftsman making new steel swords; since the majority of the new generation of swordfighters are quite content with wooden swords, the demand for wooden swords has skyrocketed. Its quite possible that later they prefer steel swords (if there are any left to find) as they experiment a bit. Who knows?

I dont judge them; my preference is simply for steel swords. Even if I try to get a new steel sword made, the craftsmen are using wooden parts as part of the structure, at first it was just the hilt, but now a blade itself which merely has a steel wire running through is sold as a steel sword; it has become very hard to find a place to get a new one made in the old style, which was once very popular but now seems to be dying.

Of course I feel a bit frustrated; But its not fair to blame the new generation that prefer wooden swords (for a lot of them its all they know). Who can I blame?

Of the steel swordfighhters and collectors, many have quit. Others have let their frustrations show. Most are quietly waiting, clinging on to the few craftsmen they can trust to not add wood to steel; hoping for a resurgence of steel.

I like it, but as a history buff and sword collector myself there is one issue I have with whats written above.

Arguably the best swordsman to ever walk the earth in Japan is Miyamoto Musashi. He is the man who wrote the Book of Five Rings, a book well worth reading. After he killed enough people, he decided to arm himself with two Bokken, wooden swords. He never once lost a fight.

A swordsman doesnt need steel to be deserving of the namesake.

Cool info - I'm no buff; but I knew this analogy would be taken too literally :S. Oh well, It was worth a try.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo