Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

50. Re: Battle.net Security Breach Aug 10, 2012, 08:58 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 06:31:
This has nothing to do with just hijacking accounts, bug exploits, keylogging people, or any of the excuses dreamed up by incompetent users. It's an actual unauthorized access of their databases that occurred on or around August 4th. Nasty bit of business.

That's really the problem though, no one knows. The FAQ says they detected the intrusion on August 4 but that means nothing, it could have been done pre-launch Diablo 3 for all we know. The bottom line is that it's really difficult (now more than ever) to blame users when Blizzard itself has very serious security problems. They just leaked their north american customer database to the world, the liability issues could be problematic.

On a personal note I'm interested in how exactly this was accomplished. Post Sony hack, most networks at large companies these days are segregated enough that you can't simply hack a web server to obtain access to an internal database server. I doubt we'll ever hear the details but it would be really neat to hear how this was accomplished.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo